Whether you are a parent or a teacher, having a list of reading books for first grade can help your child get ahead. Perhaps you would like to assign some summer reading or you want to supplement your child's reading at home.
Reading Books for First Grade
Remember, different schools and districts will often have varying requirements for their students. Most of these books are suggestions from Great Schools and Education World.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
- The Bears' Picnic
- Bedtime for Frances
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
- Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys, and Their Monkey Business
- Franklin Rides a Bike
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
- Freckle Juice
- The Little Engine That Could
- Make Way for Ducklings
- The Listening Walk
- Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia
- Quick as a Cricket
- Ten Apples Up on Top
- There's an Alligator Under My Bed
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
- Frog and Toad are Friends
- Ivy and Bean
- Margaret and Margarita: Margarita y Margaret
- My Best Friend
- There Is a Bird on Your Head!
- Aunt Chip & The Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
- The Boy Who Loved Words
- Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian
- Edward and the Pirates
- Max's Words
- You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
- The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
- Bear Snores On
- The Big Snow
- Diary of a Wombat
- The Snow Leopard
- Winter's Eyes
- The Dot
- Emily's First 100 Days of School
- Little Cliff's First Day of School
- Miss Smith's Incredible Story Book
- Ramona the Pest
- The New Girl...And Me
- Is A Worry Worrying You
- Oh Brother!
- Dad, Jackie and Me
- Big Bug Surprise
- Elena's Serenade
- The Empty Pot
- Henry and Mudge
- I Knew You Could
- How to be a Good Dog
- Raggedy Ann's Wishing Pebble
- What's So Bad About Being An Only Child?
- Charlotte's Web
- I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
- The Hundred Dresses
- The Little House
- The Little Prince
- Mr. Popper's Penguins
- The Stories Julian Tells
- Fairytale News
- The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum
- Goldilocks and the Three Martians
- How the Elephant Got Its Trunk
- Let's Play In the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around
- Prancing, Dancing Lily
- When the Library Lights Go Out
- The Cat in the Hat
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Minnie and Moo and the Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
- Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
- Stella, Queen of the Snow
- George Washington's Cows
- The Giant Hug
- Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
- Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!
- I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love
- The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
- Wee One's Bible Stories
- The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories
- Precious Moments Bible
- The Icky Bug Counting Book
- The Nature Treasury: A First Look at the Natural World
- The Polar Bears' Home: A Story About Global Warming
- Why Do Leaves Change Color?
Remember, not every first grader is going to be able to read every single one of these books. Students are often on different levels at this age in particular. Choose selections that challenge your child without overwhelming him or her.
At school, consider dividing students up into groups based on abilities for reading time. However, do not make the divisions obvious. Use group names such as Aladdin/Jasmine and Eric/Ariel (or something to that effect) to distinguish between the groups, as opposed to "Group A" and "Group B" or anything that reveals the different abilities.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"List of Reading Books for First Grade." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 18 September 2018. <http://reference.yourdictionary.com/list-reading-books-first-grade.html>.
List of Reading Books for First Grade. (n.d.). Retrieved September 18th, 2018, from http://reference.yourdictionary.com/list-reading-books-first-grade.html