For Spanish language students, Spanish grammar exercises provide engaging practice. Students of all ages and skill levels benefit from interactive exercises. You can find exercises to help students practice spelling, build vocabulary, or master verb tenses. If your students struggle with a particular concept, there are also exercises focusing on specific areas in need of improvement.
Many colleges, universities, and K-12 school districts include free Spanish grammar exercises on their Web sites. Some professors have also built sites to make it easier for their students to find practice resources. Sites that include elements of Spanish culture provide interdisciplinary approaches to learning language, as well as practice exercises. Audio components provide listening and speaking practice in conjunction with grammar exercises, giving students yet even more practice learning a new language.
While straightforward Spanish grammar exercises may help students acquire language skills, they can get stale after a while. If you’re looking for other ways to practice Spanish grammar, try games, puzzles, word finds, and sites that include cultural components. No matter what your students’ learning styles, there’s a free resource waiting to help them become fluent in Spanish.
This selection of resources available online is by no means exhaustive, but offers the most robust sites for practice resources.
- One of the best resources for Spanish grammar exercises is Spanish Language and Culture, written by Barbara Kuczun Nelson. Created as a resource for Colby College students, the site is beautifully illustrated and contains multiple grammar exercises, worksheets, and cultural resources. High school and college students studying Spanish may find this site more to their liking than younger students as it’s geared for Nelson’s higher education classes.
- Another superb online resource for Spanish grammar exercises is Study Spanish. Here you’ll find online tutorials, lessons, pronunciation and verb drills provided to the public free of charge. The contents are well-organized and the resources carefully selected.
- An interactive Spanish grammar resource may be found at the Trinity University Web site. You’ll need Java script and certain browsers that support the interactive elements, however.
- For language instructors, the the Indiana Metropolitan School District of Steuben provides a comprehensive Spanish language resource. Download free flashcards, vocabulary builders with audio components, and link over to numerous excellent grammar exercises and worksheets.
- Enrique Yepes, a professor at Bowdoin University, provides a huge page of links to dozens of Spanish grammar exercises. Choose from references sites, vocabulary builders, native language sites, and more.
- Ursinus College in Pennylsvania offers free online exercises and a unique, interactive series of self-check Spanish language exercises.
- Columbia University offers great grammar drills. Some are challenging, but if students struggle with verb tenses, pronoun use and other tricky topics, use the drills here to gain more practice and facility speaking, reading and writing in Spanish.
- Most resource to learn Spanish focus on high school and college students, but younger students benefit from learning languages at an early age. For elementary school teachers, resources include lesson plans and practice exercises such as those found on the California State University Web site.
- 123 Teach Me offers children, parents, teachers and anyone interested in learning to speak, read or write Spanish a wealth of resources. Online grammar exercises can be printed or used on the computer. You’ll also find an interactive word translator from English to Spanish and even a verb conjugator right on the home page.
- Tired of boring worksheets? Try games to learn Spanish grammar. Transparent Language includes find the word games, scramble games, and more to practice grammar, spelling, and vocabulary acquisition.