YourDictionary offers this recommended list of grammar resources for those wishing to polish up on their grammar, increase their vocabulary and brush up on their writing skills.
Grammar Books Recommended by YourDictionary
No matter where you are in life, good grammar is always an important skill to have to help you communicate successfully and clearly with the rest of the world. Whether you're a student, teacher, job seeker or professional, good grammar is:
- Essential for making the correct impression on the people you communicate with everyday.
- A direct indication of your competence for whatever goal you are trying to reach.
Just as good grammar is important, a large vocabulary is another necessity for being able to express yourself correctly.
Whether you're working on increasing your vocabulary, your understanding of the English language or need help with good writing style, the books below can all help.
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
- Grammatically Correct: The Essential Guide to Spelling, Style, Grammar, and Punctuation
- Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
- Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose
- Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice for the Grammatically Challenged
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
- The Elephants of Style : A Trunkload of Tips on the Big Issues and Gray Areas of Contemporary American English
- The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment
- When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
- Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English, Second Edition
- 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses (The 100 Words)
- 100 Words To Make You Sound Smart (100 Words)
- 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
- Red Hot Root Words, Book 1
- Red Hot Root Words: Mastering Vocabulary With Prefixes, Suffixes And Root Words Book 2
- Root Awakenings: Vocabulary Development Using Classical Word Roots
- The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
- The Wrong Word Dictionary: 2,000 Most Commonly Confused Words
- A Writer's Guide to Powerful Paragraphs
- Effective Writing: Stunning Sentences, Powerful Paragraphs, and Riveting Reports
- Effective Writing: A Guide for Social Science Students
- Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
- Keys to Great Writing
- Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
- Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing
All of these books are good desktop references to have on hand to increase your English grammar, vocabulary and writing skills.