India is a large and fascinating country located on the continent of Asia. There are many interesting facts about India related to the country's people, culture and land. You may find some of these key India facts to be quite surprising!
Surprising Population Facts About India
India is a massive country with an enormous population. Statistics are current as of early 2021.
- India's population is just over 1.38 billion people.
- India is the second most populated country in the world (behind China).
- The population of India is projected to exceed the population of China by 2027.
- India has the second-highest number of English speakers in the world. The United States is the only country with more people who speak English.
- Ten percent of India's population holds 77% of the country's wealth.
- There are 119 billionaires in India.
Intriguing Facts About Religion in India
While most people in India are Hindu, many individuals practice other religions.
- Over 80 percent of the population of India is Hindu.
- The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi is the largest religious pilgrimage destination in the world.
- Cows are holy in the Hindu religion. They are actually considered sacred in all of India.
- The religion of Sikhism originated in India.
- Approximately 14 percent of people in India are Muslim.
- India has over 300,000 mosques located throughout the country. It has more mosques than any other country.
- The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists, is exiled in Dharmashala, which is in the northern part of India.
India Facts About Culture
There are many unique aspects of the culture of India.
- India does not have an official language. The country's Constitution lists 22 languages.
- Hindi is the most commonly spoken language in India.
- India's Constitution has rules specifically preventing the slaughter or sale of cows.
- While India is home to about 400 million vegetarians, only around 30% of the country's population is actually vegetarian.
- India produces more milk than any other country in the world. The country produced over 196 million tons of milk in 2019.
- Yoga began in India more than 5,000 years ago. It originated with India's ancient Indus-Sarasvati civilization.
- As many as 90 percent of marriages in India are actually arranged marriages.
- India has a one percent divorce rate. This is the lowest divorce rate in the world.
Unique Sights and Attractions in India
India is home to some incredible places to visit and appreciate.
- India has the only floating post office in the world. The post office is located in the city of Srinagar, which is located in Kashmir. It is housed in a large houseboat on Dal Lake.
- The Shukavana bird home in Mysuru is recognized by Guinness World Records as being home to the largest number of bird species in an aviary.
- At an elevation of 7,500 feet above sea level, India's Chail Cricket Ground is the highest cricket field on the planet. It is located in Himachal Pradesh.
- The Taj Mahal is one of the most recognized and frequently visited attractions in all of India. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The beautiful Himalayan mountain range extends throughout part of India. Enjoy hiking, camping skiing, rafting, or trekking in the Himalayas.
International Influence of India
India is a large and fascinating country. India has unique and interesting cultural practices, many of which have an impact on other countries throughout the world. For an idea of India's impact on the English language, review this list of English words of Hindi or Urdu origin. You might be surprised to learn that words you use every day actually originated in India.